What benefits do Migrants get in Australia? 4 Australian Supports


1. Cost of Living Rebate for Households

Because Queensland’s power assets are publicly owned, Queenslanders are able to share in the dividends.

Around $500 million from the dividends of government-owned corporations has already been used to provide households with a $50 electricity bill credit in 2018, 2019 and 2020 (twice) and 2021.

These rebates are in addition to any other energy rebate or concession for which a customer may be eligible.

Who is eligible to receive the Cost of Living rebate?

The rebate is being provided to residential customers who are separately charged for their electricity.

Customers who don’t receive a separate electricity bill (e.g. where electricity is included as part of the rent) are not eligible to receive the dividend payment.

Arrangements are in place for customers with electricity on-supply arrangements and customers using a card-operated meter. See below for details.


2. Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme

The Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme:

  • is for Queensland households experiencing problems paying their electricity or reticulated natural gas bills as a result of an unforeseen emergency or a short-term financial crisis that has occurred within the past 12 months.
  • is a one-off emergency assistance to help with paying your home energy bills
  • pays up to $720 once every 2 years.



To be eligible you must be responsible for paying the outstanding bill and meet one of the following:

  • hold a  current concession card, or
  • have an income equal to or less than the Australian Government’s maximum income rate for part-age pensioners; contact Services Australia or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs for details of the maximum income rate
  • be part of your energy provider’s hardship program or payment plan.

You must also have experienced:

  • a substantial decrease in your household income (e.g. loss/decrease of employment hours, family separation)


  • high unexpected expenses on essential items.

    We may ask you to provide documents or receipts for repairs/purchases to verify this information.


The following two sections outline reasons that will not be accepted:

Section 1 – Substantial decrease in household income

  • Decreases of income that are not substantial (e.g. under $100 per fortnight)
  • Decreases of income that started over 12 months ago
  • Centrelink payments that are decreased due to deductions or penalties
  • Income below the cost of living (ongoing hardship)
  • “In and out” short-term casual or seasonal work
  • JobSeeker payments that are decreased due to reductions in the coronavirus supplement
  • JobKeeper payments that are decreased due to planned reductions.

Section 2 – High unexpected expenses on essential items

  • Phone, internet, rates, water, and other expected bills
  • Rent arrears and costs of additional persons moving into the household
  • Standard regular car service, registration or insurance
  • Purchase of furniture, TV, computer, microwave, freezer, kitchen appliances
  • Cumulative pharmaceutical expenses
  • Associated funeral costs, such as travel and accommodation
  • School/education expenses
  • Travel costs to see sick family/relatives.

How to apply

Step 1: For more information, or to start the application process, contact your energy provider. They will consider all the eligibility criteria and provide you with an application number that you will need before completing the online application.

Step 2: Using that application number, complete the online application form.

Step 3: Your application will be assessed and if successful, your electricity or gas provider will receive the one-off payment to pay for your account.


Helpful resources


3.Electricity and gas rebates

Queensland pensioners and seniors may be eligible for:

  • the Electricity Rebate—$340.85 per year (GST inclusive)
  • the Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate—$76.19 per year (GST inclusive).

Please note, all rebates are GST inclusive. Rebates for eligible card holders may appear as GST exclusive on bills.


4.Electricity and reticulated natural gas rebates for residential home parks and multi-unit residential premises

Owners or proprietors of residential home parks or multi-unit residences are required to advise residents that electricity and gas rebates are available and claim the rebates on behalf of eligible residents.

The rebate is available for premises where the proprietor/owner:

  • is the consumer of the energy retailer
  • supplies electricity and/or reticulated natural gas to each of the separately identifiable vans, flats or home units
  • charges for electricity and/or reticulated natural gas used by residents based on metered consumption.


To be eligible, residents must have 1 of the following:

  • a current Services Australia or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card
  • a current Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Gold Card (Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI) and widow/er only)
  • a current Queensland Seniors Card
  • a current Services Australia Health Care Card (Electricity Rebate only)
  • asylum seeker status (residents will need to provide their ImmiCard details) (Electricity Rebate only).

Eligible residents must live alone or share the premises with:

  • their spouse or other eligible card holders
  • other people wholly dependent on them
  • other people who are social security recipients, and who do not pay rent
  • other people who live with the resident to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.




Email: [email protected]

Tel:  +61 7 3876 4000

Consultation:  https://www.noborders-group.com/form/free-consultation


We will help you by exploring visa options and securing the application. As part of our services, we will assess the eligibility of the application for a partner visa and help you to get out of the abusive relationship and provide you with detailed advice on your chances of success. If you would like to discuss your visa options and evaluate the pathway to permanent residency, please make an enquiry  or  book a consultation to get expert advice with one of our knowledgeable and experienced Migration Agents/Lawyers on 07 3876 4000 or email: [email protected].


© The State of Queensland 2021


Book a free consultation today and let us help you find a way forward.