On 10th September 2016, the Department of Immigration has announced changes to the Skilled Migration Program which will grant 5 additional points to the students of Australian institutions.
The amendment to the points test will enhance the pathway to permanent residence for students who have completed Doctoral or Masters by research-level qualifications in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) or specified information and communication technology (ICT) related fields in Australia.
The current points test will be amended to award additional points for Doctorate and Masters by research-level qualifications gained from Australian universities in STEM, specified ICT and other related fields.
The following fields of education qualifications are proposed to be accepted under this new measure:
Field of Education:
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Natural and Physical Sciences
- Other Natural and Physical Sciences
- Physics and Astronomy
- Computer Science
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Other Information Technology
- Aerospace Engineering and Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Technology
- Engineering and Related Technologies
- Geomatic Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering and Technology
- Maritime Engineering and Technology
- Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and Technology
- Other Engineering and Related Technologies
- Process and Resources Engineering.
Graduates whose qualification is at Doctorate or Masters by research-level and their field of education is listed in the above table then they will be eligible for five additional points towards their points test.