A variety of safeguards exist within employer sponsored visas that are designed to put job opportunities for Australia workers first. These ensure that overseas workers complement, but do not displace Australian workers. These safeguards include:
- requiring market salary rates to be paid to sponsored workers
- mandating a minimum salary of $53,900
- limiting the occupations that are eligible for employer sponsorship to only those determined to be in demand in the Australian labour market by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- requiring employers to contribute to the Skilling Australians Fund
- requiring overseas workers to hold relevant Australian registration, licences and certificates
- skills, english language, age, and work experience requirements for overseas workers
For some visa types, you must show us you can’t find a suitable Australian worker. For these visas, if you nominate an overseas worker, you will need to test the local labour market. Given the economic impacts of COVID-19, we will be further scrutinising employer sponsored applications to ensure that job opportunities for Australian workers are being prioritised.
There will be more attention given to employer nominations in relation to Australian workers in similar occupations when considering whether there is a genuine need for an overseas worker, including:
- retrenchments in the previous 12 months
- reduction of hours worked during the previous 12 months
- reduction in pay and conditions within the previous 12 months
- employment of a temporary visa holder on conditions less favourable than Australians
- recruitment of temporary visa holders beyond the ordinary scope of the business
Being a sponsor means the skilled worker can work only for you while you sponsor their visa.
When you sponsor a worker you have certain obligations to them. Some of these obligations might continue after they cease working for you.
Need help with getting Australian Visas or Visa Appealing?
NO BORDERS LAW GROUP: #1 TRUSTED MIGRATION LAWYERS
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +61 (07) 3876 4000
We will help you by exploring visa options and securing applications. We will assess the eligibility of the application for a partner visa, and provide you with detailed advice on your chances of success. If you would like to discuss your visa options and evaluate the pathway to permanent residency, please make an enquiry or book a consultation to get expert advice with one of our knowledgeable and experienced Migration Agents/Lawyers on 07 3876 4000 or email: [email protected].