FAQs: What does Migration Agent/Migration Lawyer do?

Migration Agents provide information and advice to potential migrants, prepare and lodge visa applications, and act as intermediaries to legally represent clients during visa processing and before review bodies.



Overview of What Migration Agent or Immigration Lawyer do

If you want to migrate to Australia, a migration agent can help with:

  • advice on the most appropriate visa to use
  • completing visa application form(s)
  • preparing supporting documentation and information for the application(s)
  • submitting applications and dealing with the relevant government departments on your behalf
  • providing advice on complex immigration matters.
  • Provides information about immigration laws, policies and procedures.
  • Answers written and phone queries.
  • Reads, checks and decides on applications for residency or entry into Australia.
  • Interviews applicants.
  • Explains decisions to applicants.
  • Issues permits and visas.
  • Enforces immigration laws.
  • May investigate breaches of immigration law.
  • May advise on immigration policies and operations. 



Skills & Knowledge


Frequently Asked Questions

What does MARN mean?

MARN stands for Migration Agents Registration Number, which is granted to migration agents once OMARA approves their application to become a registered migration agent. Only migration agents with a MARN can provide migration advice and assist with visa applications.  

Can an immigration lawyer provide legal advice across other areas of law?

Lawyers are trained across multiple areas of law. However, most lawyers specialise only in some areas. Therefore, you should seek confirmation from your immigration lawyer to verify that they have the expertise and can assist you in that other area of law. 


What is a bridging visa?

A bridging visa allows you to remain lawfully in Australia until an event occurred, eg your visa application is finalized or you departed the country.



Why Use a Migration Agent or Immigration Lawyer?


With more than 100 visa subclasses available in Australia, it can be hard to navigate which visa subclass is most appropriate for you. Therefore, it may seem like you are saving money by completing the application yourself. However, if your application is incomplete or incorrect, it can lead to your visa being refused. This can then severely impact future visa applications and complicate the process further, which can be very costly. This means that getting your application right the first time is important, which a professional can help you do.


Australian migration law is complex and difficult to understand, contact our immigration lawyer for a free 15 minutes consultation to help you apply for a visa or appeal your visa cancellation. 


Need help with getting Australian Visas or Visa Appealing?


Email: [email protected]

Tel:  +61 (07) 3876 4000

Consultation:  https://www.noborders-group.com/form/free-consultation


We will help you by exploring visa options and securing applications. We will assess the eligibility of the application for a partner visa, and provide you with detailed advice on your chances of success. If you would like to discuss your visa options and evaluate the pathway to permanent residency, please make an enquiry or book a consultation to get expert advice with one of our knowledgeable and experienced Migration Agents/Lawyers on 07 3876 4000 or email: [email protected]



The Commonwealth of Australia




Book a free consultation today and let us help you find a way forward.