What is Australian Partner visa (temporary) subclass 820
This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).
In order to be eligible for the temporary partner visa, you must meet the following criteria at the time you apply for the visa:
- You must be married to, or in a de facto relationship with, an Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen, or an Australian permanent resident. This person will be your visa sponsor (unless they are under 18).
- Your marriage must be valid under Australian law.
- You must be able to prove that you have been in a de facto relationship for a minimum of 12 months unless you are exempt from this requirement because you have registered your relationship (for example).
Requirements of Partner visa application
- be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when we decide your temporary visa application. Family who apply with you must also be in Australia
- You and any family members on the application meet the Australian health and character requirements.
- You and your family, including those who aren’t on the application, are debt free to the Australian government.
- You need to be 18 or older unless you’re in a valid marriage.
Top benefits of Partner visa (Subclass 820).
Once you have the 820 Visa, you will be able to do the following:
#1: Full work rights
There is a lot of freedom attached to the 820 visa. Not only can you use it to stay in Australia until a decision is made on your permanent 801 visa, but you also have:
- Full working rights.
- Full flexibility to travel in and out of Australia.
- Study in Australia. However, for studying you are not entitled to government support, like Australian citizens or permanent residents are.
#2: You gain access to Medicare
As soon as you apply for the Subclass 820 visa, you have access to Medicare. Medicare gives you access to Australian health care services, including:
- Free (or subsidised) treatments and consultations from doctors, dentists, optometrists and a number of other practitioners
- Free treatment and accommodation as a Medicare (public) patient in a public hospital.
- PBS Medications.
#3 Be able to stay with your loved ones
Live in Australia with your partner until you become eligible for the permanent 801 Visa. During this time, you can also bring your children with you, if you have any. Then, once you get the permanent visa, you will also become eligible for Australian citizenship.
#4 Can include dependent children in application if they are in Australia.
This is a fantastic benefit of the 820 visa and makes the process of permanently moving your family to Australia a much easier one. Provided your children meet the eligibility criteria, they will have the same rights and visa conditions as you have.
Dependent children or stepchildren must be under the age of 18, or if over 18 and under 23;
- Be financially dependent on you or your partner because they are a full-time student; or if over 23,
- Unable to work, due to mental or physical disabilities.
- Not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship.
#5 Free access to Adult Migration English Program (AMEP).
If you need help with your English, you can take free English language classes provided by the Australian Adult Migrant English Program. You are entitled to 510 hours of classes.
These classes are provided across Australia’s cities and even rural or regional areas.
There are many options for study, including:
- The choice of full-time or part-time study
- Weekend and night classes
- Home tutor schemes
- Online independent learning
- Distance learning (regular over-the-phone contact or classes via the Internet).
Also, 820 Partner visa allows visa holders to travel to and from Australia as many times as you wish.
Need help with getting Australian Visas or Visa Appealing?
NO BORDERS LAW GROUP: #1 TRUSTED MIGRATION LAWYERS
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +61 (07) 3876 4000
We will help you by exploring visa options and securing applications. We will assess the eligibility of the application for a partner visa, and provide you with detailed advice on your chances of success. If you would like to discuss your visa options and evaluate the pathway to permanent residency, please make an enquiry or book a consultation to get expert advice with one of our knowledgeable and experienced Migration Agents/Lawyers on 07 3876 4000 or email: [email protected].