Australian Companies hiring overseas workers in 2022? Here’s What You Need To Know

Learn how to employ an overseas worker and know the requirements you need to meet as the employer.


When you employ people from overseas, the process is slightly different from hiring Australian citizens, permanent residents or New Zealand citizens.


Australian Companies Hiring People from Overseas

You can employ an overseas worker in 2 ways:

  • employ a non-citizen who is already in Australia whose visa allows them to work, such as an international student or a  working holiday visa holder 
  • sponsor a skilled worker who lives overseas or temporarily in Australia for a work visa on a permanent or temporary basis.

The Department of Home Affairs manages and administers work visas for overseas workers.

If you’re considering hiring someone who already holds an Australian visa, check out the Hiring someone in Australia– external site step-by-step guide on the Home Affairs website. 

Alternatively, if you’re thinking of sponsoring someone for a work visa, learn about the visa options for workers, how much it costs and how to sponsor someone by contact No Borders Law Group for professional advice.


Employer obligations

Check visas

As an employer, it’s your responsibility to make sure your employees are eligible to work in Australia:

It’s important to note that even if a non-citizen has work rights in Australia, there may be restrictions on the amount and type of work they can undertake. For example, student visa holders can generally only work up to 40 hours in a fortnight, and working holiday visa holders can generally only work for the same employer for 6 months.

You’ll have additional reporting obligations if you sponsor an overseas workers for a work visa.


Hire an overseas worker – Entitlements, tax and super

Migrant workers, including working holiday makers and international students, have the same workplace rights as other workers in Australia (including the same pay rates).

Our free Employment Contract Tool can help you to create a contract that meets entitlements under the Australian Fair Work system.

If you employ working holiday makers, a special tax rate applies. You can check your tax and super obligations – external sitefor workers on the Australian Taxation Office website.


State and territory resources

Each state or territory has information that will help you sponsor and/or employ an overseas worker:


Need help with visa application?


Email: [email protected]

Tel:  +61 (07) 3876 4000



We will help you by exploring visa options and securing application. As part of our services, we will assess the eligibility of the application for a partner visa and help you to get out of the abusive relationship and provide you with detailed advice on your chances of success. If you would like to discuss your visa options and evaluate the pathway to permanent residency, please make an enquiry  or  book a consultation to get expert advice with one of our knowledgeable and experienced Migration Agents/Lawyers on 07 3876 4000 or email: [email protected].



© Commonwealth of Australia.

*Last Updated: 06 August 2021

Book a free consultation today and let us help you find a way forward.