Applying an Australian Training Visa (Subclass 407) to stay and work – FAQs

Applying an Australian Training Visa (Subclass 407) to stay and work – FAQs

The Training Subclass 407 Visa is a short stay visa for people to undergo occupational training or professional development in Australia.

Looking to extend your stay in Australia? Try upskilling with the Subclass 407 Training Visa.


Stay, Train and Upskill wtih 407 Training Visa

The Subclass 407 Training Visa allows migrants to complete workplace-based training. This enables eligible participants to improve skills for their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.


There are three primary streams within the Training Visa Subclass:

  • Occupational Training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation
  • Occupational Training required for registration
  • Occupational Training for capacity building overseas


Obtaining occupational training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation can be particularly beneficial if you do not quite meet the minimum work experience requirements of some visas, including following:


Training Visa can act as a Pathway to fulfill work experience required by Skilled Visas:

  • Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
  • Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)


Training Visa can act as a Pathway to fulfill work experience required by Employer Sponsored Visas

  • Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)


Genereal FAQs of Training Visa (Subclass 407)


What is the Duration of 407 Visa

The Subclass 407 Training Visa can be granted for up to 2 years. The Immigration Case Officer will decide the length of the visa based on how much training they think you need.


Why apply for 407 Visa?

The Department has strict requirements which must be satisfied when it comes to applying for skilled and employer sponsored visas. Where you do not quite meet the minimum threshold for the experience required, the Subclass 407 Training Visa can be a beneficial transitional pathway.

If successfully granted, you can spend additional time building up experience in the relevant occupation, in order to subsequently meet the strict criteria for skilled or employer sponsored visas.

If you are interested in applying for a skilled visa or employer sponsored visa, below are some of the challenges that we see come up where a Subclass 407 Training Visa is a beneficial transitional pathway.


Subclass 482 Visa:

Subclass 482 (Temporary Skill Shortage) visas require a minimum of 2 years’ experience. The difficulty is that most people cannot achieve 2 years’ work experience by the end of a Subclass 485 (Temporary Graduate) visa or Subclass 500 (Student) visa. Many people will fall in the trap of only having gained 0.5 years to 1.5 years of relevant work experience during the time in which they held their respective Temporary Graduate or Student visa. With a Training Visa, they can spend up to 2 years building on the existing experience to better equip them with applying for a Subclass 482 visa in the future.


Subclass 186 Visa:

The Subclass 186 (Employer Nomination) visa requires the applicant to have a successful skills assessment, as well as a minimum of 3 years’ work experience. This threshold is therefore even more challenging to satisfy than the Subclass 482 threshold so the Training Visa can help to buy applicants time as they build up their experience in the nominated occupation.  


Subclass 189, 190 and 491 Visa:

In addition to strict requirements in terms of the prior work experience that an applicant must demonstrate, Subclass 189 (Skilled Independent) visas are highly competitive and most states require a lot of work experience for Subclass 190 (Skilled Nomination) or 491 (Skilled Work Regional) visas. Furthermore, these programs are not available most of the time due to various reasons such as limited state quotas, and issues with funding and resourcing the respective programs. As such, a Training Visa can help applicants to gain more experience to give them a more competitive edge when it comes to applying for Subclass 189, 190 or 491 visas.

While the Training Visa is appealing to migrants looking to apply for various skilled and employer sponsored visas, it is particularly appealing to Subclass 485 visa holders or students who have got at least 1 year of relevant study/work experience in the identified nominated occupation, who are unable to meet the threshold required for skilled or employer sponsored visas. The Subclass 407 Training Visa is therefore a good time-buying exercise, as long as there is a genuine need for comprehensive workplace training in the relevant occupation.

Once on the Training Visa, you will be able to gain more time to apply for skills assessment, or revisit the other skilled visa or temporary sponsored visa options.


What do I need to apply for a Training Visa?

In order to be eligible for the Training Visa, you must meet some basic requirements, such as being over 18 years of age, having functional English, and holding private health insurance.

The Department also requires that you are genuinely intending to stay temporarily in Australia for the intended purpose of undergoing the training.

Your occupation must also be covered in the Subclass 407 Training Visa Occupations List. In this case, the applicant must have recent and suitable prior experience.

Recent and suitable experience includes employment or study experience that:

  • is equivalent to at least 12 months full-time experience in the occupation; and
  • has occurred in the 24 months immediately before the nomination is lodged

The applicant must also meet the Department’s health and character requirements.

Finally, it is integral that the business intending to sponsor the applicant is an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor with a valid Sponsorship and Nomination. They cannot be a sole trader or an individual.


Any obligations and conditions while holding the visa?

Applicants are required to maintain health insurance for the duration of the visa, and must continue to be engaged in the proposed training. This Training Visa is granted for a specific period – anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. As you near the end of your Training Visa, you can look at other pathways. Don’t hesitate to chat to the team at No Borders about transitioning into a skilled visa or employer nominated visa pathway from your Training Visa.


Are your looking for visa options?


Email: [email protected]

Tel:  +61 (07) 3876 4000


We will help you exploring visa options and securing application. No Borders Migration is experienced in the migration and Australian visa application, and our migration agents and lawyers have extensive knowledge in the legal requirements, eligibility criteria, and the supporting documents required. Simply dial 07 3876 4000 or email: [email protected] and let us help you start wtih your way towards obtaining you Australian visa.


#australia #australiavisa #australianimmigration #australianvisa #migrationtoaustralia  #migration #visa #sponsored #Skilledvisa #regional #employersposnorship #sponsorship #SkilledRegional #trainingvisa#189 #190 #491 #temporaryvisa #occupationlist

Book a free consultation today and let us help you find a way forward.