Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa eligibility

DoHA has changed the requirements for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa for those who have been affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions:

  • online study undertaken outside Australia will count towards the Australian Study Requirement for existing and new student visa holders
  • graduates can apply for and be granted a Temporary Graduate visa outside Australia (where they have met all the requirements).


Online study outside Australia is counted from the time of Student visa grant only.

If you are applying outside Australia, you must hold or have held an eligible Student visa (this does not include one supported by the Defence or Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister).


Flexible timeframes for additional information – English tests, biometrics and health

DoHa allows extra time for you to provide English language test results if you were unable to take a test because of COVID-19. Extra time will also be given for biometrics collection and health checks where COVID-19 disrupted access to services.


Where you have made an appointment for one or more of these services more than 28 days into the future, you may attach your booking confirmation in ImmiAccount.


Student visa conditions

DoHA is taking a flexible approach where COVID‑19 restrictions have prevented Student visa conditions being met.


You will not be in breach of your Student visa conditions if you:

  • have an approved course deferral
  • are studying online.


You are temporarily allowed to work more than 40 hours per fortnight if you are employed in certain sectors.


For more information see Temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders.


When to notify DoHA 

You don’t need to tell us if you return home, or if your study situation changes. Your visa remains valid until you submit another visa application, or your visa expires. The status of your visa will not change if you return home or defer your studies.


Education providers can issue a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and enrol students to study online. If you hold a valid student visa, your education provider will provide us with your new CoE. 


If you have an open student visa application, you can attach your new CoE to your application through ImmiAccount.


Students with financial difficulties

International students who are studying and working in Australia may be able to access financial assistance when they are:

  • required to self-isolate or are caring for someone with COVID-19 (Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment) or; 
  • adversely affected by a state public health order and are required to be in lockdown for more than seven days (COVID-19 Disaster Payment).


For more information on the financial support payments, including eligibility criteria, see Centrelink payments and services.


More information for international students

Information for international students is available across a range of Government agencies, including:

  • Australian Government COVID-19 for latest news, updates and advice.
  • Department of Education, Skills and Employment and email [email protected]
  • Department of Health for Overseas Student Health Cover
  • International Student Ombudsman for COVID-19 related complaints
  • Study Australia for information on support services.